Guards of the Anvil
While the fighters that train in the Dun-di Academy for Advanced Tactics looked up to by average guardsmen and common people alike, the Guards of the Anvil are truly paragons of their craft and the target of adoration across the empire. To become one of the few Guards of the Anvil, one must complete decades of intense training at the academy eventually working with the King himself. If King Einkil deems the fighter ready and trustworthy after training with an individual for years, he can formally allow the warrior to graduate from the academy and join the prestigious and elite Guards of the Anvil. The following are the seven fighters that have risen to this elite status in the realm:
- Commander Rodett Blackstout – The Commander of the Guards of the Anvil and the protector of the King, he can almost always be seen carrying his rich engraved battle axe and wearing his gold inlaid armor. He often speaks publicly to keep themselves physically strong and their battle skills honed regardless of their social rank or the current political situation. He is admired by many throughout the kingdom, and he is known for his feats of battle prowess and speed in combat both in tournaments and in the field.
- Adell Stormrunner – Adell Stormrunner serves both as the High Weapons Master of the Dun-di Academy for Advanced Tactics and as one of the seven Guards of the Anvil. As the High Weapons Master, she personally trains the most advanced fighters in the empire and also holds administrative control over the academy. The High Weapons Master must also serve on the Guards of the Anvil, since only one of the land’s most elite warriors would be allowed to teach in this school. She is the oldest of the Guards at 61, but as her students regularly attest, she is still quite formidable in combat.
- Johannes Gratia – A member of the noble House Gratia and the youngest of the Guards of the Anvil at the age of 24, he impressed all of his teachers in the academy from a young age. It was whispered among his peers that he must either be a savant or have a grand destiny in store. Even in his work with Stormrunner and King Einkil, he impressed with his ability to learn and adapt to changing situations in combat and was allowed to graduate quicker than any Guard of the Anvil previously. He fights with the standard sword and shield and has already won countless tourneys in the city. Outside of his combat abilities, he is adored as the heartthrob of the empire given his comely looks with long blond hair, blue eyes.
- Kaye Haduk – Kay an average-looking woman at age 35 with a slim, athletic build, Kaye keeps her head shaved to avoid complications in combat. She prefers armor that leaves her arms and legs free, covering them when necessary. She is never without her dueling blades. She still argues to this day that she faced discrimination in the academy for her non-traditional dual wielding fighting style, but after seeing her combat style and personal swagger, even most casual viewers can understand why the masters and the Dun-di Academy for Advanced Tactics may have had trepidation on letting her graduate to the Guards of the Anvil. In particular, she has great pride and often enjoys making a show of her combat speed and flashy tricks, but these entertaining maneuvers often come with a great degree of risk. This combined with her spirited personality lead to many confrontations with the more conservative fighting style of the masters of the academy. Eventually after encouraging her to develop a more calculated strategy to her still flashy combat risk taking, King Einkil allowed her to graduate to his guard.
- Forgrim Thomas – A giant of a man, Forgrim age 38 is often referred to simply as the “Bear” due to his size at 6’ 9’’ and his gruff nature. He wears huge magical full-plate armor into combat and uses his signature massive greatsword. A burly warrior, he often speaks in a low, gruff voice when he speaks at all. He is the least well-known of the Guards of the Anvil with only his sword and size known by the common people.
- Dwogal Dolvir – One of the two dwarves in the Guards of the Anvil, he fights with a traditional dwarven ornamented waraxe and shield. He moved from the Southern Kingdoms at a young to train in the Dun-di Academy for Advanced Tactics and slowly progressed through the ranks in the school. Once he reached the highest level in the academy, he met and became quick friends with the King sharing a unique form of dwarven humor. In fact, he is known across the realm by the crest that he designed as a joke with Einkil in preparation for his first tournament, a battle crossed with a phallus. Though he did not win the tournament, Dwogal became a quick favorite of the people enjoying a skilled warrior with an interesting type of humor.
- Glanur Beljak – The other dwarf in the Guards of Anvil, Glanur age 178 is much older than Dwogal and has been vocal about his distaste for the lack of respect his colleague has for his position. Glanur was among the first students to graduate from the academy after it was intially founded by King Einkil. He traveled from the Southern Kingdoms to study weapon mastery in the formal school, especially as it was operated by a dwarf. Given his long relationship with the King, he has been known to work closely with the King as a confident during as problems arise throughout the kingdom. He is very traditional, respecting his station, but also enjoys a good dwarven brew in Belwin’s tavern from time to time. He fights with a powerful dwarven warhammer and shield delivering devastating heavy blows in combat.