For Shattered Empires, we will use the standard rules published in the Pathfinder Core Rulebook with the following exceptions:
- Magic in Togugia functions as outlined in the core rules, but due to the political and social disapproval of magic throughout a great deal of the world, spell components and magic items will often be difficult to find. Therefore, magic users will have to plan for this, and obtain larger quantities of spell components when they become available in game.
- Corresponding to the scarcity of magic components, magic users must keep track of the total number of spells cast with a given component pouch. The base rules assume that spellcasters can freely replenish components while visiting towns and in nature. Unless the characters find themselves in a more open-minded town, this will not be possible in Shattered Empires. Each component pouch provides enough materials for 100 spell castings that require material components.
- Please check with me before taking a magic item creation feat. While Pathfinder does not have XP penalties for item creation, the cost of the components will be greater than suggested in the core book (probably 75% of the full cost), given the difficulty in obtaining materials in our world.
- We will use the more free-form movement rules from D&D 3.0. Therefore, the characters’ movement and spells are not required to conform to squares. Rather, free movement is allowed. While using miniatures, a ruler will be used to determine movement distance and spell areas.
- We will use the Forgotten Realms gods used in D&D 3.0 & 3.5, since these were the gods that inhabited this world before. The domains of each god still correspond to those in each god’s listening in the D&D books, but use the domain spells and information in the the Pathfinder books.